So Eric and I have recently returned from San Francisco - it was my first trip to the city, and I had a great time. I can honestly say that I've never had to lean backwards to walk down a street before this "vacation," but I can also say that it was worth it.
We got in late on Thursday night, after a long 45 minute delay and a full body pat down from a lady named Sue from the TSA at O'Hare, and we took San Francisco's train, known as the BART, to Eric's friend, Nick's apartment. I've heard about the BART before, but I REALLY heard the BART while riding on it. To put it in perspective of just how loud these trains are, take the noise of the El, add 15 screeching babies, 25 really pissed off cats, and an unsuspecting girl receiving "the shocker," and you have the noise of the BART. To be fair to the poor train, it did get us from A to B all weekend long.
Once we got to the city, we walked down the piers by the water and decided to head to the Aquarium. Now, you'd think, being five feet from the Pacific Ocean, San Francisco would have an amazing aquarium - not so, unfortunately. We did see some very interesting species of children though - some of which should've been behind the glass to observe, as they were a danger to the general public. The bay was very pretty though, so the walk wasn't for naught...
The day got increasingly better as, after a short ride on the famous trolley, we landed ourselves at the California Academy of Science. Eric and I were like kids in a candy store - we were so excited about everything that we probably could've walked around that place all day long. They had a dome in the middle of the museum that contained a simulated rain forest. There were about 8 floors of creatures, both contained and out in the open for us to look at. We were surrounded by butterflies, soaring out in the open, birds that whizzed past your head, and fish that you could view from all possible angles. We weren't supposed to take pictures, as the flash would damage some of the animals, but I did sneak a couple (flash free) because it was just so neat.
After we got thrown out of the Academy of Science (they were closing,) we headed back to Nick's apartment, headed to a delicious dinner, and had a good night of card playing and cocktails.
Saturday we slept in a little longer than we would've liked to, but we found an Irish pub in the city and we watched the Champion's League (soccer) final. The place was jam-packed, and we had a blast just watching the game and talking to the local (and not so local) folk. I made a connection with an English woman who was traveling the United States all by herself - a tinge of envy enveloped me when I heard this. I cannot wait to be able to travel all over - though I think I'd much rather have Eric by my side, as he's good with maps, and I suppose he's an alright fella to hang out with. (A joke, Love...you know you're super.)
After a very favorable yet bittersweet victory for Barcelona, we headed back to the Pier to take the boat to Alcatraz. I cannot lie, this was my favorite part of the trip. I found the island absolutely fascinating. All of my life I've heard about this "inescapable" prison, and to be walking through it was just really cool for me....We walked into the prison with the sun shining, and we walked out of the prison in the most miserable rain I've ever seen (and I've spent quite a bit of time in Ireland!!!!) We didn't let it ruin our time though - we stopped at a pub for a drink, then headed out to the most amazing dinner I have ever had! We called it an early night after a visit to a really cool movie theatre to see a not-as-cool movie, The Hangover II. It was a great day.....
Sunday, all four of us were up for an event I had never experienced before - we went out for "bottomless mimoas." Holy champagne, Batman - what a bargain. I'm pretty sure the four of us drank the hotel out of its supply of bubbly, and I did not realize just how indulgent we were being until we got up and continued our day. There are a couple pictures - I can't tell you where we were, but I do know it was fun....I think. Haha
Monday it was time to go home - it was difficult to wake up, and we ended up running a bit late. I should've known, traveling with the Eric Ginn, that I would only barely make our plane home. Sure enough, we were the last to board, but we made it safe and sound.......
It was a great trip - I cannot wait for our next adventure. Next on our list - whitewater rafting in Colorado this July!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment